Monday, February 10, 2014

Food on Saturday

Today, I woke up not feeling so great. I am definitely developing something in my throat, but I bought some (expensive) medicine, so hopefully I'll start to feel better soon!

This past weekend, I had a blast staying in Florence.. This weekend my city decided to take a much needed break from the lingering clouds and the sun was out! The first few days here I thought the rain was never going to stop, which can be frustrating but when it's sunny out you really appreciate how beautiful the city looks under the Tuscan Sun. 
View from my rooftop! 
Nothing like a beautiful view of the Duomo


I started my day getting food with my friend Brenda at this little bakery I stopped by last week trying to find directions. The second you walked in you could smell the yeast rising in the bricked ovens, pastries becoming fat with fresh nocciola cream and the pieces of mozzarella becoming one with the thick tomato sauce on the pizzas. I knew I had to come back to this place, and I'm so happy I did. For only 3.50 Euro, I got: 
Just came out of the oven- Ham and Cheese
The Calzone was filled with sauce and pepperoni and the smaller one was a pastry like bread, so flaky and delicious with cheese and sauce. 

So many delicious options!

So as if I didn't eat enough, my friends and I walked into town to go to a chocolate festival. And I literally don't even know where to begin with this one. When we walked onto the street, there was a group of actors putting on a show. They were decked out in clothing from the early renaissance time and were throwing up flags. 
horrible picture, but you get the gist of it.
After the little show, we entered one of the two tents and it was chocolate paradise. Vendors from all over Italy filled the tent on both sides offering free samples of every single chocolate you could think of. There was even a table where they had Belgium waffles on a stick and drizzling it with chocolate and vanilla, topping it with sprinkles and nuts. It was so hard not to try everything but I wanted to get my hands on everything I could! I ended up trying some pistachio chocolate, which wasn't my favorite but still very yummy. A white chocolate creamy nocciola and the a nocciola truffle. Safe to say my taste buds were extremely happy that day. 

Different types of liquor!



After all of this my friend Brenda and I found an awesome new supermarket right near our house. I'm still not used to the fact that there isn't one big place everyone goes too, but a million (okay 5) smaller places that all have different things. It gets a little hard at times because I don't know which one to go to, but I've only been here for a few days so I'm sure i'll get the hang of it more! 

1 comment: